Why a home won't make it on the short list, even if it meets all the buyer's search criteria, is a topic for a different blog post. Why would buyers decide to pass on a home they had scheduled to (and been looking forward to) see?
Top 5 Reasons Why Buyers Will Not Enter A Home
1. The house looks nothing like it does in the pictures online.
2. An important (to the buyer) adverse fact was not disclosed or obvious in the online property listing (the power lines or water tower right behind the house for example or the previously wooded lot next door is now a new construction site).
3. The neighbors' properties do not look maintained (a junk yard next door, abandoned and boarded up properties, a Christmas display extraordinaire in June..)
4. Access problems: the owners or tenants were not aware of a showing, Fido who was supposed to be caged is clearly not in a cage, there is no key in the lock box.
5. Safety concerns. When we pull up to a property and the lockbox/door are open but nobody is around, we leave run. Fast.